Appropriate training can reduce the premium costs for property, liability and workers compensation insurance and can also keep operating costs in check.
Compliance training is about educating employees on the laws, regulations and company policies that apply to their job responsibilities. An organization that mandates compliance training is more apt to avoid violations by employees that could lead to legal liability for the organization. And, in the event that employee wrongdoing does occur, documented training can serve to defend the organization.
Many insurers reward employers with a well-trained workforce through premium reductions. A business can even reduce Workers Compensation premiums by lowering the “experience modification factor” (MOD) through improved safety outcomes. Because it is a multiplier, even a small reduction in the MOD can significantly impact the final premium.
Many safety and compliance issues potentially apply to any business—is any workplace immune from workplace violence or the threat of sexual harassment? Maintaining a secure environment and training workers on how to recognize and react to potential problems can minimize the opportunity for disaster.
Evaluate what safety and compliance concerns are pertinent to your business. For example,
- Slips and falls can happen anywhere but they may be more prevalent in certain settings such as grocery stores or restaurants where spills are common.
- Some safety concerns are inherent in the activity or materials handled at a workplace.
- Where lifting and loading activities are common, training in proper lifting techniques can reduce injuries.
- Where safety equipment is used, employees need to be trained on when and how to use it.
- In an office setting, training on proper ergonomics can reduce injuries.
To help keep your operating costs in check, think about what safety issues may be impacted by training. Check with your insurance professional about what steps you can take to reduce insurance premiums.
If affordable online training would help to reduce your insurance premiums and operating costs, we can help. Our online learning site, CDTLearning, is geared to small and mid-size businesses and organizations. CDTLearning includes both online courses and complete tracking and reporting functionality. Visit our website at http://www.cdtmicrographics.com/cdtlearning to learn more. From our website, you can also access CDTLearning! to view course lists, descriptions and watch course previews.
For more information:
- How to Lower Your Business Insurance Premiums,
- 5 Tips to Lower Workers Compensation Premiums,
- SmallBiz, How to Reduce Risks and Lower Costs,